A year and a half ago when the bedroom addition’s roof went on there was some discussion about the pitch, which is barely noticeable, and how it was going to behave with heavy rain and snow. We’ve really just finished testing that second thing, and I suppose it should come as no surprise that a slightly steeper pitch would have been better.
Initially, before the snow became ice, there was a little encouraging sliding but it soon stopped, causing a little more trouble than it solved because it managed to neatly overhang and bypass the gutter. It wasn’t stressing the gutter, didn’t touch it at all in fact, but it also didn’t let the gutter do its job. So I ended up knocking that part of the ice off with a big pole. Other than that the only problem is that the roof sheds ice very poorly, really just leaving it there till it melts. In a wetter, colder climate this could easily become unacceptable. In my case, fortunately Neighbor D insisted on overbuilding the roof on 16” centers, which I initially wasn’t very happy with because it required me to scrounge more timber and delayed the roof. I’ve gotten more happy with it in the past week or so. There’s no evidence of strain at all, and it’s unlikely that the roof will see a great deal more snow than it did around New Year’s for the whole of its life.
So it’s an overall success, but on the other hand it still hasn’t entirely cleared and that couldn’t be called optimal. Guess that means everybody on both sides of the discussion gets to say I told you so. 🙂