And in pursuit of that goal, this morning I took a reader’s advice and knocked together an a-frame to take the weight of the jackhammer.
And that helped a lot: I got quite a bit done before I ran out of steam. I’ll take another shot at it this afternoon when the shadow’s in my favor.
The hammer pretty clearly isn’t designed for working horizontally: You really have to lean into it to get the hammer to beat on the chisel. And even then the blade usually slides off what you’re trying to cut, and…
It’s still frustrating, but the a-frame helps a great deal. Still not sure what I’m going to find when I get past the concrete – and whether I’m going to be able to do anything about it. The well company that re-worked the plumbing last summer apparently neglected to provide a main shut-off valve, so when I find the leak it’s gonna come a gusher and I still don’t know if there’ll be room to work on it. Can’t dig it up, it must be ten feet down in loose sand. Last year I had to dig less than 2 feet to run some conduit up from the powershed, and that was memorably too much like work.