In our last exciting episode, I got an early mouse in the bedroom heater’s firebox. Not allowed. They’re getting in through the exterior vent.
Sidebar: Mice in the vent is not ever mentioned as a possible problem in ads for the benefits of vented heaters.
Anyway: I covered it with plastic and duct tape yesterday morning, but Regular Commenter Ben came up a good (and in hindsight perfectly obvious) idea: What about hardware cloth? You could just leave that up permanently.
Huh. Why didn’t I think of that?
One reason is that I don’t like working with hardware cloth very much. That wasn’t a good reason not to give the idea a try.
Forming a useful mouseproof cover wasn’t going to be easy without some sort of circle form. Fortunately the cover is 9″ in diameter, which is a common dimension. A tin plate I use for collecting screws was perfect.
Snip, form, staple, snip, form, staple…
…and now we run into a problem I did anticipate: Getting the edge between the cover and the vent to actually keep mice out. If I left the edge of the cover as bare wire, it would hold to the vent pretty well. But it would inevitably leave gaps plenty big enough for a mouse to pass. False security.
And so I finished by doing something I had really resisted: The redneck’s friend…