Somebody gave me 50 pounds of bread flour. I’ve never worked with anything but all-purpose flour, and long-time readers know it took me a very long time to learn how to bake reliable bread.
Now today I tried working with the bread flour not expecting much difference. I figured for the first attempt I’d make no recipe changes at all, only the flour. It was a lot more different than I expected. The texture of the dough was far different, much more grainy and it took far less flour to make a ball with the same amount of water. And then although it seemed to rise well enough at first, it baked into a couple of unappetizing bricks.
Not encouraging, plus I’m not sure what I need to change to get it to work.