At the cost of a truly aching back I finished a first coat on all the front-facing new lumber – which if that sounds like it’s weasel-worded, it is: I have to pull the balusters to properly paint the pre-existing lumber, and that’s okay because they could really use another coat of green while I’m here.
The new floorboards have been down for over two months but I never finished properly securing them because I knew all along I’d have to take them up again to paint under them. The current plan is to take them up a little at a time, paint what they cover, then properly screw them down with deck screws. We’ll see if that plan is worth the genuine pain in the ass it will be: I might end up just leaving that part for last and taking them all off at once.
I noticed yesterday, the first time I’ve used my wall brush this year, that it really didn’t want to properly clean. And over the course of three hours’ painting this morning it got stiffer and less cooperative.
Through my married years I confess I negligently destroyed more than a few paintbrushes out of a (in hindsight) childish wish to passive-aggressively express my objection to all that damned evening and weekend painting. I bought this brush and – to my utter astonishment – two cutting brushes after the Great Siding Project of 2015 when I found myself actually enthusiastic about painting and maintaining the finally-completed cabin exterior. Since that time the only brushes I’ve purposely allowed to be destroyed were cheap one-shots bought for using Killz. I still have those three half-decent brushes. But this one isn’t cleaning up the way it used to, and I find myself wondering if it’s possible to honestly wear out a paintbrush.
It’s just a wall brush, it’s not expensive and I’ll need one a lot on this project so I plan to replace it on Monday. But as Glidden is my witness, I never neglected it. 🙁