Haven’t cleaned the chimney since March, and pretty soon I’ll want to fire up the wood stove. So today I tried the mod my neighbor J and I installed back in March. Prior to that, it took two strong men to take down the stovepipe for cleaning, and I plan to be very scrupulous about cleaning the chimney.
Works great! Unscrewed the pipe sections, slid the whole thing down on the telescoping part. Pulled the stove away from the ceiling box and I had no trouble unshipping the pipe from the stove.
Good thing I did, too. I was already getting creosote build-up. This must be the most inefficient chimney in the history of burning wood. Plus, since my stove has this steel plate between the top of the firebox and the chimney, creosote that falls down the pipe lands on that plate instead of into the firebox. It had already started accumulating in there. Pretty sure that’s how February’s fire started.
Anyway, the chimney mod makes doing it myself quite possible. So it’s all cleaned up and ready to go now.