Then cut a big hole in the wall.
Undoubtedly there are contractors and skilled builders who wouldn’t have thought twice about it. I reconsidered the whole project when it came to that one thing.
It took us a while to get the vent pipes cut to the right sizes, (the hot air outlet is concentric to and inside the cold air inlet, which is kind of clever) but then we got to cover the big appalling hole with a pretty vent cover.
Then came the fun part.
Okay, it’s not entirely complete. It’s built to run on a portable propane bottle with a barbecue regulator and it does that quite well. But just to get it running we ran the hose up through the hole in the floor and connected it directly to the gas valve, and the furnace swiftly got so hot that I became very nervous about that flexible hose so I shut it down. I still need to run it long enough to burn the paint off the firebox so it stops stinking, so I need some pipe and a few fittings. But we ran it through its paces and it does function. The only problem so far is that it takes forever to get the pilot to light with the sparker. Once I get it properly plumbed I’m going to see if it lights more readily with a match.
But it works! It heats the room. Thermostat says on, it’s on. Thermostat says off, it’s off. A person could actually spend a night in this room on a frigid night without needing half a dozen wool blankets and a blasting cap to get him out from under them to go light the woodstove in the morning.
This is shaping up to be a remarkable winter.