Today’s project was supposed to be converting the Lair’s chicken yard into a more practical dog kennel.
Seemed simple enough. Finish cleaning out the deep litter. Take the top off the coop, take the coop off those tall pedestals, turn it around, remove the end door, put it on shorter blocks, clean it up, put the top back on and generally turn it into a dog house.
Then shorten the whole yard by four feet, which will still be plenty for temporary Corgi shelter but will stop interfering with the new back stairs. That was supposed to be the hard part.
Shortening the yard means re-thinking the whole top cover, but that really ought to be the easy part. A shortened yard means the new section of camo netting, which currently only covers half the yard, will go further. I thought I’d entirely discard the old camo netting, since the small part of the kennel it will still cover doesn’t get much direct sunlight and anyway the shade fabric is completely done. But actually I think I’ll retain the actual net, which is still in usable condition and I’m not completely certain a Corgi-size dog doesn’t need to worry about raptors.
But I never got that far anyway before totally running out of steam…
…because I forgot how stupid heavy that chicken coop is. I got it turned around and up on blocks – finally – but other than some easy preliminary work that’s all I got done this morning. I quit almost half an hour ago and I’m still panting and in a muck sweat, and in no mood at all to wrestle with third-hand chain link fencing. And the coop needs some minor repair before I put the top back on. Maybe I’ll do that later today, but the fencing will need to wait.