Re-attached the damaged bedroom addition corner to the Lair’s frame with timber bolts – borrowed a long drill bit from Neighbor D to make it so. The bolts pulled the door’s hinge plate back into square. Then I installed the new doorknob…
I started afternoon chores with a scrounging run – a person I don’t know basically abandoned a lot not far from the lair, along with a bunch of junk. This happened last year in October, and I had a chance back then to make a buck cleaning up the site. Unfortunately my arm was still in a sling from that fall I took, and I wasn’t sure I’d ever be able to lift heavy objects again. It’s been nine months and I’m still not 100%, but we’ve settled at a new normal. Anyway, the opportunity to get paid for cleaning that site dried up, but there’s still all this junk there and I sort of got a back-channel offer to dig through it for usables. Didn’t score much of value except one old-fashioned but usable 100# propane bottle. They cost a lot of money new. I don’t use them because they’re too big and heavy for me, but spare propane is spare propane. Fill this one and it’ll stay filled, and it’ll store neatly in Ian’s propane enclosure. Someday I’ll bless myself for going to the trouble.
Other than that there were a couple of good concrete blocks and a bunch of old lumber suitable for cutting up for the woodshed. Worth the run, anyway. Nothing else there but UV- and rodent-destroyed garbage. It happened a lot out here around the turn of the century: There was a Y2K-inspired survivalism craze that probably made a few people a lot of money, and when it went away there were all these half-baked sites with all this rotting junk lying about. Nice.
Anyway I got back from emptying the trailer and got to work on the addition door, finishing just as it began to sprinkle. Hadn’t really expected rain but I was wrong, and I still had Landlady’s chickens to deal with. So LB and I raced the storm out there and – for the record – lost the race. I’m typing this with a damp towel around my shoulders.