Neighbor D Update

D is officially out of the hospital – he got moved to a nursing facility yesterday.

I’m surprised at the speed of that, because he had a bunch of related problems in addition to all the broken bones. An old cardiac problem cropped up, and he punctured a lung. Also, they couldn’t/didn’t repair the smashed clavicle. He’s not on crutches yet. But he left the hospital as soon as the tubes were out. Change of policy since my own hospital days, I guess…

About Joel

You shouldn't ask these questions of a paranoid recluse, you know.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Neighbor D Update

  1. Judy says:

    Yup, they tried releasing me way before I was physically able to do so in July.  It took two people to move me from the bed to just a bedside commode, and the DingBat Hospitalist was talking about sending me home in that condition.  

  2. Anonymous says:

    Ah, the joys of a for profit medical system…

  3. ka9vsz says:

    Joel: I’m probably preaching to the choir, but… It would be a good idea to have a medically-savvy person who isn’t afraid of pissing off the staff at the facility checking in regularly to assess D’s situation. {horror stories withheld for brevity}

  4. JC says:

    OUCH! Not a whole hell of a lot to be done with a broken clavicle. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

  5. Anonymous says:

    My choices for a broken clavicle were:
    1) we operate to pin it and you go home tomorrow, almost fully functional
    2) let it heal on its own, and need to keep it immobile for six to eight weeks.

    The choices are dependent on the level of “comminution” – how many pieces the bone is smashed into – and whether the capsule it lives in is ruptured.

    In my case, I had it pinned, and was back using the arm in 24 hours, with a physio plan.

  6. Anonymous says:

    D needs a good orthopedic surgeon. When I managed to do an unintentional dismount from my tractor and fractured my clavicle, mine operated on me, securing a titanium bar onto the completely fractured bone with a handful of screws, and sending me home on the same day. I wore a pretty neat sling assembly and underwent several sessions of therapy afterwards. It likely depends on the actual fracture as to how to approach the problem.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *