I just put this thing up! And I’ve already had to repair it twice. You think there may be something wrong with my construction plan?
One thing’s for sure – the flash flood overwhelmed that whole area. Probably due to changes in the riverbed caused by last year’s floods, the target area wasn’t nearly as immune to water as it usually is. The talus slope that used to be behind the paper target stand, which has probably been accumulating for centuries, was almost completely washed away.
Oddly, so were both of the target stand’s rear braces. This is very confusing. Angle iron braces were bolted to the sides of the stand – they’re both gone, and so are the bolts. No bending, no damage suggesting the braces were torn off – they’re just gone.
So the target stand is fixed, though it still needs some straightening. But I’m not confident at all that it’s going to stay fixed now any better than it has before. I think I need a redesign – something with four legs, maybe? Or even six.
I went to visit my dying little cottonwood tree, again in the middle of the flood’s path…
Then, since my driveway is a mess that won’t be fixed quickly, I turned my attention to the utility road between Ian’s place and the wash.
The wash water that broke over the bank just downstream from Ian’s Cave dropped a whole tree straight across the road, then piled debris against the tree like building a barricade in a Paris riot. Worst case, this was going to take hours of sweating over a saw to get it into small enough pieces to move.
But most of the debris was small and loose enough to move by hand. One big stump and the tree itself, I was able to tow away with the Jeep. I have this one heavy cable with a hook: I don’t use it often, but in situations like this it sure beats trying to wrap my vehicle towing strap around a tree – and then get it unknotted afterward.