Okay: For the benefit of anybody wandering in for the first time, I drive a Jeep but never into town, and I live way the HELL back in the high desert. I have to haul gasoline to the Jeep from town on weekly trips in a neighbor’s truck. Having worn out my plastic gas cans some years ago, I acquired some cheap Chinese jerry cans in hope that they would be an improvement.
We’ve already established that my cheap Chinese jerry cans are complete shit in so many ways. The biggest problem is that they take forever to empty into the Jeep’s tank because they’re unvented. So I drilled scary holes in them and installed plastic vents.
These were better than nothing but only just. They absolutely wouldn’t seal the holes I’d drilled in the cans, which meant I slathered them with Seal-All which only works temporarily. Seal-All is impervious to gasoline but not, it turns out, to UV. Of which I have lots.
A commenter suggested replacing the plastic vents with tire valve stems. This was an interesting suggestion, which as the problem progressed I became determined to try.
Big Brother sent me a set of fancy metal truck tire valves…
(Many pix below the fold)
The first problem, already documented, was that the seals that came with the tire valves were not designed for use with gasoline. So I tested their compatibility – and they proved to have none whatsoever.
FIRST LESSON: I had planned to just buy some auto tire valve stems at the local auto parts store, and in light of the incompatibility issue that would have proven a very bad idea. I thought the fancy stems Big Brother sent me were expensive overkill but in fact they proved essential.
So I cast around for a better material for the seals. Found a big hose in a pile of dump-bound junk…
So I did something dumb. I cut out a few pieces of roughly the right size…
So I decided to drill the holes first, and that made for better progress.
Now! How to get the vent into the can and out through the vent hole from the inside? Another commenter had offered a suggestion for that, which made sense to me. So I earlier acquired a length of clear tube…
Naturally, this being a Joel project, disaster struck immediately. The can’s drain hole has a tube spot-welded to it, supposedly some sort of vent except that it does absolutely nothing useful since it doesn’t mate to any corresponding vent in the spout. All it does is make the can difficult to fill without making a mess, since in 2 out of my 3 cans it prevents me from inserting the pump spout properly into the can. I have always hated that tube.
Now it turned out that the tube also prevented me from inserting the tire vent into the can. GRAAAAWWRRR!
At that moment, I did something I have always wanted to do…
I always hesitated to do that, because with my luck the break would occur in the material of the can rather than the tube or welding rod material. But I had finally reached f*ck it. Fortunately the tube came right off without material damage.
From there, things went fairly smoothly.
…until I could start the nut on the threads. I used the nut to press the seals together enough that I could install the curved washer, removed the nut, installed the washer, and then tightened the whole thing down.
For testing purposes I put the cap on, poured maybe a quart of gas into the can and turned it upside-down so it was all right on the cap. Nothing leaks at all.
I’m taking it to town this morning, but see no reason to anticipate problems.