…Though I confess I’m still not exactly sure what a “meme” is. Guess I should have gone to college, huh?
Anyway – I see, courtesy of Sebastian at Snowflakes in Hell, that there’s this hoplophobic broad who wants to play 20 Questions with gun owners. I’m just absolutely convinced she’ll treat the responses she receives with a completely serious and respectful attitude. Also, she asks that responses be backed up with “peer-reviewed articles” or something similar. I can’t do that, since I have no peers. I am peerless. Er…I know of no one who will admit to being my peer.
Since as usual I found Sebastian’s responses unduly conciliatory, I hereby offer my own, for your time-wasting pleasure. I assure my readership that they’re worth every dime.
1. Do you believe that criminals and domestic abusers should be able to buy guns without background checks?
I believe that they will continue to easily do so anyway, and that any “solution” you propose will succeed only in disarming their intended victims.
2. What is your proposal for keeping guns away from criminals, domestic abusers, terrorists and dangerously mentally ill people?
I have none. Wouldn’t begin to know how to do that effectively, short of locking everybody up. I can, however, offer detailed proposals for keeping arms in the hands of their prospective victims. The first would involve getting you and your friends away from the ears of politicians.
3. Do you believe that a background check infringes on your constitutional right to “keep and bear arms”?
4. Do you believe that I and people with whom I work intend to ban your guns?
5. If yes to #4, how do you think that could happen ( I mean the physical action)?
The question is incoherent. “Banning” requires no physical action at all, and is quite simple to do. Even Clinton managed it. If you mean confiscation, well, there you’ve got a problem. Were you really coming to me for suggestions?
6. What do you think are the “second amendment remedies” that the tea party GOP candidate for Senate in Nevada( Sharron Angle) has proposed?
I think they involved getting her elected.
7. Do you believe in the notion that if you don’t like what someone is doing or saying, second amendment remedies should be applied?
No, I have no intention of helping Sharron Angle get elected. Demonstrated desire for any position of power should comprise automatic disqualification.
8. Do you believe it is O.K. to call people with whom you disagree liars and demeaning names?
Just for saying something I disagree with? No. For being a liar or a low person? Yes.
9. If yes to #8, would you do it in a public place to the person’s face?
That’s the only way it should be done. What does this have to do with gun control?
10. Do you believe that any gun law will take away your constitutional rights?
This question assumes I accept the concept of a “constitutional right,” which is not a safe assumption. But for the purpose of the exercise – No. An unconstitutional law does not negate constitutional rights. It may take away my ability to openly exercise them, though.
11. Do you believe in current gun laws? Do you think they are being enforced? If not, explain.
Do I believe in them? You mean, do I believe they exist? Yes. Er…seriously, I don’t even know what these two questions are asking.
12. Do you believe that all law-abiding citizens are careful with their guns and would never shoot anybody?
Heh. Good one.
13. Do you believe that people who commit suicide with a gun should be included in the gun statistics?
I don’t believe there should be gun statistics.
14. Do you believe that accidental gun deaths should “count” in the total numbers?
You keep asking the same question.
15. Do you believe that sometimes guns, in careless use or an accident, can shoot a bullet without the owner or holder of the gun pulling the trigger?
Modern guns? I’m unaware of any plausible means by which this can happen. I suppose someone could reach over and pull the trigger on someone else’s gun, but…
16. Do you believe that 30,000 gun deaths a year is too many?
Compared to what? I can imagine scenarios in which it’s not enough.
17. How will you help to prevent more shootings in this country?
Mostly I stay away from cops.
18. Do you believe the articles that I have posted about actual shootings or do you think I am making them up or that human interest stories about events that have happened should not count when I blog about gun injuries and deaths?
Self-referential much? I have no opinion about anything you’ve ever written, lady.
19. There has been some discussion of the role of the ATF here. Do you believe the ATF wants your guns and wants to harass you personally? If so, provide examples ( some have written a few that need to be further examined).
Oh, seriously – I’m not even going there. Don’t get me started on the ATF.
20. Will you continue a reasonable discussion towards an end that might lead somewhere or is this an exercise in futility?
That last one. You and I will never have any point in common. I’d be prepared to deny, under oath, that we belong to the same species.