Cut the tops of the posts off even and attached the bottom parts of the railings, that’s prosaic enough. The posts will get top caps, which I already have, and the end one on the corner of the porch stays tall for a light and/or hummingbird feeder.
The top railings are where things get a little more fancy than joel-normal…
Once I’ve got those done, I’ll see if I can rip some shorter lengths of 2X4 for balusters. Turned posts would cost way too much since I’m gonna need like 25 of them. If I can rip straight pieces I can taper them top and bottom and sand them round on the front, but I’ll just screw them to the fronts of the top and bottom railings. Time-consuming but not complicated, and I’ve got time.
Unfortunately in cutting the corners off that first (longest) top railing I managed to ram a big splinter into the pad of my left index finger, of course breaking off the end inside. I had to come inside to cut it out – it looks like I’ve got it all but it sure doesn’t feel that way. Figures.
That’s why I prefer wearing gloves when dealing with old lumber, which is mostly the only kind I get. But gloves and power saws are bad medicine.