Got Ian’s powershed closed up.

IMG_2349
With the door we brought yesterday from the big town about 50 miles away.

You wouldn’t think it would take as long as it did – we spent more than 3 hours getting this thing attached to the building and functioning. First we had to build a wooden frame for the opening of the right size, fastened to the concrete blocks. That turned out more complex than expected since the original opening wasn’t as symmetrical as you’d think the doorway in a block structure would naturally be. Also – I don’t know, pre-hung doors are always harder to get right than they seem like they ought to be.

But it works now, and locks, and should keep the rats out. Which will make the powershed a hundred times more useful.

About Joel

You shouldn't ask these questions of a paranoid recluse, you know.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Got Ian’s powershed closed up.

  1. Mike says:

    Good job, looks like you’re way better than I am at hanging pre-hung doors. Don’t forget to use some low expansion foam to seal the gap around the door and then some silicone caulk to cover the foam. I know… picky, picky, picky.

  2. Judy says:

    Mike – it may be ‘picky’ but why would you want to keep exposing yourself to Hantavirus more than once.

  3. jed says:

    Inapropos of Ian’s door, I note that your blog is no longer requiring a browser refresh to show the latests posts, so moving to another host fixed that little annoyance.

  4. coloradohermit says:

    jed, I noticed that same improvement. Now I just need to break the ingrained habit of refreshing everything. 😉

  5. Joel says:

    Unfortunately it has added a major administrative hassle on my end in that the login page no longer works. I’m currently stuck only able to do anything with the blog on my main laptop whose software is so old it can’t even connect to a lot of web sites and video is right out.

    I’m still trying to contact the IT guy who got me into this mess. If the software ever decides to force me to log in on the laptop, which it used to from time to time, I’m out of the blogging business.

  6. Zelda says:

    Joel Dell sells refurbished laptops for as little as a few hundred dollars. You have a choice of OS, capacity, niceness of the unit (grade A, B ). Free shipping. I got one that was new in the box. Sign up at the web site Dell Refurbished Store and watch for the sales.

  7. Zelda says:

    Did you do a thorough spray of disinfectant before you closed it up?

  8. Mike says:

    Judy, there will always be the risk of Hantavirus in that battery storage room regardless if the trim was on and the gap sealed or not. Every month those batteries will have to be maintained so that door will be opened and there will be possible exposure to whatever is left of the mouse droppings. Every time that door is open for any length of time, there is also the possibility of mice getting in. Once inside mice tend to defecate, and with that also comes the risk of Hantavirus.

    The thought process of the filling of the gap with low expansion foam and covering it will wood trim, was that it would act as another barrier against mice. With the door on and closed there is no quick access for mice except for what I noted above, but given time they have the ability to claw through the frame gaps causing damage. By not seeing the gaps the temptation for mice to claw their way in is lowered.

  9. Joel says:

    Guys,

    The login calamity I predicted yesterday has occurred this morning, and until it’s resolved I’m out of the blogging business. Have communicated with all parties involved and hope it’ll be fixed sometime before the sun goes cold. But until then we’re on hiatus. Sorry.

  10. coloradohermit says:

    Well pooey!

  11. Ben says:

    Judging from the screwed up Blog heading, the trouble goes beyond a simple log-in issue.

  12. Joel says:

    Yeah, that’s new. No idea what that’s about.

  13. Joel says:

    Good news, the IT guy got right on it and now I can log in. However in fixing it he had to switch the whoozit to a different whatzit which caused incompatibility with the current-version andreabobider because my farkle drive is really old and needs a new hickleheimer valve.

    And maybe that’s why the header is all screwed up. Or that could just be a feature of the upgrade, I don’t know…

  14. coloradohermit says:

    If you get a new hickleheimer valve, don’t forget to add the fluid before you open it up.

  15. jabrwok says:

    A Turbo Encabulator would fix that right up!

To the stake with the heretic!